Top 20 Favorite Video Games

 


I’ve never really considered myself a “gamer.” This is likely due to my upbringing. My parents bought into the 90s attitude that video games were violet, sexiest, and would rot your brain. We never had a console system growing up, so I never played much until middle and high school. Yet soon it became a regular part of my social life, and I had a lot of joy sharing it with my children. Here are my top 20 favorite games:

 

1. Civilization III (2001, PC)

            In terms of pure hours of play, the Civilization franchise head and shoulders above any other game, and ever second was joy. I remember playing the original Civilization on an ancient computer at my grandmas over Christmas every year. Civilization II was the first real computer game I played on a regular basis, and Civilization III represented the pinnacle of the series. I loved the sandbox nature, finding hidden villages, discovering technology, and battling barbarians. It’s still my favorite game.

 

2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (2020, Nintendo Switch)

            This is truly a family game, the only game I regularly play my wife and oldest son. It’s also the only game that always makes me feel better. Total zen.

 

3. Super Smash Bros. (1999, N64)

            I first became a fan of this game on the N64, perfecting Pikachu to his maximum potential. In high school, my friends and I would play the Game Cube version during lunch, a needed break from the stress of life.

 

4. Lollipop Chainsaw (2012, PS3)

            I absolutely love everything about this game, from the constant jokes to the zombie glad gore, but what really takes the cake is Juliet Starling herself, voiced by the legend Tara Strong. She is just…amazing.

 

5. Starcraft (1998, PC)

            I’ve always been a fan of the sci-fi genre and begged my parents for this game when it was released. I played the story mode multiple times and still enjoy it.

 

6. Goldeneye 007 (1997, N64)

            I made and broke more middle and high school friends over this game than any other. We would spend all night, fueled up on pizza and Dr. Pepper shooting and slapping each other to death. Good times.

 

7. Halo: Combat Evolved (2001, XBOX)

            Unlike Goldeneye, I played a great deal of both the storyline and multiplayer on this game. My friends were especially fond of tank battling.

 

8. Pirates! (2004, PC)

            Sid Meier is probably my favorite game designer, and Pirates is one of his masterpieces. I love sandbox games, and this one has a slightly more adult edge. You can blast ships, duel Pirate captains, and even seduce the governor’s daughter.

 

9. TowerMadness 2 (2014, Mobile)

            This is my favorite mobile game, one of the few games I completed. I love tower games, and the alien theme only improves the play.

 

10. Worms 2 (1998, PC)

            This lemmings style game is super silly and fun. Plus, you get to fire the Holy Hand Grenade.

 

11. Perfect Dark (2000, N64)

            While it doesn’t have the nostalgia factor of Goldeneye, the weapons and gameplay were more impressive. There was even a gun that could shoot through walls, which was pretty annoying in multiplayer.

 

12. SimAnt (1991, PC)

            This is an oddly addictive game, and my favorite of the “Sim” series. I loved fighting other ant colonies.

 

13. Bloom or Doom (Unknown, Apple)

            This might be the first computer game I ever played. It’s a simple “press your luck game” where you try to grow a plant before winter kills it, blooming as many buds for fruit as possible. I played it on my Dad’s old work Apple in the 80s. I’ve never been able to find a copy of the game or even a vague internet reference, so if anyone knows how to get a hold of it, let me know.

 

14. Raptor: Call of the Shadows (1994, Arcade)

            The constant variety and barrage of weapons is unmatched.

 

15. Dead or Alive 3 (2001, XBOX)

            One of my best childhood friends was Thomas Heresco, who lived just up the street from me. He had an N64 and an XBOX, which was my first serious forte into video games. Our favorite fighting game was Dead or Alive 3, which had a great cast of characters and cool combos. Sadly, he died at only 29 from a hiking accident, so say a prayer for his soul.

 

16. Star Wars Trilogy Arcade (1998, Arcade)

            I loved going through the whole Star Wars trilogy on this arcade game. It was quite versatile including duels with Darth Vader, racing on speeders, and blasting stormtroopers.

 

17. Doom (1993, PC)

            This my pure eight-year-old rage fuel. Who doesn’t love fighting baddies with a shotgun and a little bit of gore.

 

18. Chip’s Challenge (1989, PC)

            When I was in fifth grade, if we were the first person done with our math we could go play this puzzle game on the computer. I always raced through the quizzes so I could play this super cool maze like game.

 

19. Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker (1989, Sega)

            If you capture a monkey, you become a laser blasting robot. If you do the moonwalk, all the villains dance with you. The “child saving” is a bit on the noose, but this is still a crazy, awesome game.

 

20. Mario Kart 64 (1996, N64)

            While endlessly frustrating, I am nonetheless firm in my opinion that Mario Kart is a fun game…if you don’t travel down Rainbow Road. My seven-year-old certainly agrees.

 

Comments