Top 50 MtG Cards

Although it's not my favorite table top game, it's hard to deny the influence and sheer proliferation of on the gaming world. Due to its popularity, I play the game more than any other and have my developed my own style and tastes. The game is not without its flaws, but it's still tremendously fun. Here's my top 50 favorite cards from Magic the Gathering:
Magic the Gathering

1.      Ghalta, Primal Hunger – Mono Green Legendary Creature, Rivals of Ixalan
Ghatlta is the crux of my Pioneer Dinosaur deck. She is big, loud, and can come out quickly. The best game I ever had was a turn 5 win with her. Truly, a beauty to behold.

2.      Charging Monstrosaur – Mono Red Creature, Ixalan
This card represents everything I love about Magic. It’s a dinosaur. It’s simple (5/5 trample, haste) yet effective. It has great art and flavor text. When I play dinosaur tribal, I always have a good time.
 
3.      Ferocious Pup – Mono Green Creature, Core Set 2020
Ferocious Pup was the inspiration for the first standard deck I created and brought to an FNM. It was a Selesyna wolf tribal deck that was a lot of fun but never won. I still love the artwork and flavor of this card. Who’s a good boy : )

4.      Marwyn, the Nurturer – Mono Green Legendary Creature, Dominaria
This is the key to my Elf Tribal Modern deck. I also love the atmosphere of the card: a warrior mother who fights to protect her young and grows stronger as her brood increases.

5.      Tournament Grounds – Tricolor Land, Throne of Eldraine
At the Throne of Eldraine prerelease, this was one of the first cards I pulled, and I made an effective Knight tribal deck with it. It’s one of the best multicolor lands I’ve come across, and it’s still in my Knight commander deck.
 
    6.      Sylvan Ranger – Mono Green Creature, Core Set 2011
Sylvan Ranger was a staple in my first steps into Magic. She is a quick, efficient way to get necessary lands early. I also love the art and costuming on the character.

    7.      Red Hot Hottie – Mono Red Creature, Unhinged
It must be admitted that one of the main “attractions” of Magic for me is the large variety of beautiful women in the card art, and you will find plenty of examples on this list. Red Hot Hottie is not only attractive but pokes fun at this common Magic trope.

8.      The Original Walls – Creatures, Alpha
I don’t remember much from my childhood about Magic when it first premiered (I was only 7), but I recall being drawn in by how the original wall creatures reflected the flavor of the five colors. I started getting into Magic in 2018, getting an original Unlimited copy of each wall became a priority.

9.      Huatli, Warrior Poet – Boros Legendary Planeswalker, Ixalan
Easily my favorite planeswalker; she works great with anything Dinosaur tribal.
10.  Sisay, Weatherlight Captain – Mono White Creature, Modern Horizons
Sisay is the commander for my favorite EDH deck: BAWM! (Bad Ass Women of Magic). She gets powerful quick and can cheat things efficiently into the battle. Plus, she rocks that 
Pirate outfit.

11.  Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts – Orzhov Legendary Creature, Dragon’s Maze
She destroys your opponents’ creatures but creatures can’t hurt her. She creates ghosts. She never stops watching. All while looking fabulous.

12.  Smitten Swordmaster – Mono Black Creature, Throne of Eldraine
This is fantastic for Knight tribal. For only one mana you get do some serious damage while gaining life, then get a decent creature as well.

13.  Aggressive Mammoth – Mono Green Legendary Creature, Core Set 2019
The first set of Magic cards I got was a green intro deck where Aggressive Mammoth was the key creature, and it got me hooked instantly. It’s still a fantastic card for mono green decks, all the more surprising as it was basically given away.

   14.  Oathsworn Knight – Mono Black Creature, Throne of Eldraine
Tis just a flesh wound.
   15.  Liliana of the Veil – Mono Black Legendary Planeswalker, Innistrad
This is probably the most iconic planeswalker. She has great stats for the mana cost, but it’s that “come hither” expression that melts every man.

16.  Carnage Tyrant – Mono Greeen Legendary Creature, Ixalan
I love cards that are simple (ie, not much rules text) yet powerful. This behemoth typifies that archetype.

17.  Clackbridge Troll – Mono Black Creature, Throne of Eldraine
This card is so annoying but so much fun to play; it also has insane value for its mana costs.

18.  Chandra, Bold Pyromancer – Mono Red Legendary Planeswalker, Dominaria
There are many good Chandra planeswalkers, but this is my favorite. I love the artwork and abilities, but it’s especially impressive to me that this amazing card came from the notoriously underpowered planeswalker decks.

19.  Gisela, Blade of Goldnight – Boros Legendary Creature, Avacyn Restored
Gisela is the Commander for my Angel tribal EDH deck. She both helps with damage and life gain while leading the rest of her angels to battle.

20.  Drover of the Mighty – Mono Green Creature, Ixalan
As his name implies, Drover leads the Mighty into the battlefield. He helps get dinosaurs out with his mana ability, then becomes even more impressive once they enter.

21.  Sol Ring – Colorless Artifact, Alpha
One of the reasons you will find few blue cards on this list is that I don’t like wordy text boxes or complex combos. I like simple, powerful cards. Sol Ring is a one cost artifacts that produces two colorless mana every turn. It’s probably the most powerful card in the game.

22.  Treasured Find – Golgari Sorcery, Return to Ravnica
This is a pretty decent graveyard tutor, but it’s the artwork I that’s compelling. The excited gaze with…well placed hands.

23.  Mortify – Orzhov Instant, Ravnica Allegiance
I run black and white in several decks, and this is my favorite removal spell, better than murder or naturalize. I also love the flavor text; it perfectly sums up Orzhov, the nastiest guild.

   24.  Full Art Lands – Basic Land, Various Sets
These are just beautiful; the Unstable version is my favorite.
   25.  Tayo, Shieldmage – Mono White Planeswalker, War of the Spark
The card is just okay, but I loved his character from the War of the Spark novelization.
   26.  Growing Rites of Itlimoc – Mono Green Legendary Enchantment, Ixalan
For only three mana, you get two amazing effects: a great creature tutor and Gaia’s Cradle.

27.  The Great Henge – Mono Green Legendary Artifact, Throne of Eldraine
Wow. This card is a green player’s dream. Mana. Life Gain. Creature stats. Draw power. What more could you want?

28.  Savage Stomp – Mono Green Instant, Ixalan
Dinosaurs love stomping on things. This is a key instant in my Dinosaur Pioneer deck.
29.  Huatli, Sun’s Heart – Selesyna Legendary Planeswalker, War of the Spark
Huatli works great with toughness heavy creatures, of which I use many.
30.  Platinum Angel – Colorless Artifact Creature, 10th Edition Core Set
This forces your opponent to focus defending since it really doesn’t matter if you take damage. It’s kind of an insane card that I’m surprised more people don’t use.

31.  Vivian, Arkbow Ranger – Mono Green Legendary Planeswalker, Core Set 2020
Vivian works great with any green or creature heavy decks.
   32.  The Life Gain Lands – Dual Lands, Klans of Tarkir
I usually run these in all my standard decks. They are usually inexpensive and give a slight edge over guildgates.

   33.  Regisaur Alpha – Gruul Creature, Ixalan
I love dinosaur synergy!
   34.  Ripjaw Raptor – Mono Green Creature, Ixalan
Ripjaw is a fantastic and versatile dinosaur. I love pumping him with Rile and drawing extra cards.

35.  Druid of the Anima – Mono Green Creature, Shards of Alara
This a key mana dork for dinosaur decks. The artwork is also cool.
36.  Unclaimed Territory – Nonbasic Land, Ixalan
Yes, it’s not as good as Cavern of Souls, but it’s way less expensive, and I like the flavor better as well.

37.  The Bounce Lands – Duel Lands, Ravnica
These can rack up extra mana quickly, especially if they come down on turn one.
38.  Sylvan Carytid – Mono Green Creature, Theros
This is probably the best defender in the game. It just sits there and make mana without worry about red instants.

   39.  Captain Lannery Storm – Mono Red Legendary Creature, Ixalan
She’s so good, I play her in non-Pirate decks.
   40.  Karn’s Bastion – Nonbasic Land, War of the Spark
This is one of my favorite specialty lands. It works great with counter decks.
41.  Lightning Bolt – Mono Red Instant, Alpha
Three damage for one. Need I say more?
42.  Restoration Angel – Mono White Creature, Avacyn Restored
Yes, my favorite part of this card is the blue nightie. Yet, it’s also a powerful creature that can flash in and flicker a friend.

43.  The Signets – Colorless Artifacts, Ravnica
These are just fun ways to get the colored mana you need. 
They also pair great with Sol Sing or any land that makes colorless mana.

44.  Return to Nature – Mono Green Instant, War of the Spark
This is a nice versatile effect that can help in a variety of situations.
45.  Blackblade Reforged – Colorless Legendary Artifact, Dominaria
This is the key to my BAMW deck. Make Sisay giant, then bring out the sisterhood.
46.   Jiang Yanggu, Wildcrafter – Mono Green Legendary Planeswalker, War of the Spark
This is good to beef up your creatures and gain mana. Plus, anything with Muwu in it is golden.

47.  Domri, Anarch of Bolas – Gruul Legendary Planeswalker, War of the Spark
Domri does everything: beef up creatures, get mana, keep blue counterspells at bay. Too bad he can’t see Bolas for who he is.

48.  Elvish Mystic – Mono Green Creature, Core Set 2014
You know it’s going to be a good game when you cast a turn one Elvish Mystic.
   49.  Fire Elemental – Mono Red Creature, Alpha
This is a classic design with a great feel. I’ve never made an elemental tribal deck but this would be great in it.

   50.  Emancipation Angel – Mono White Creature, Avacyn Restored

Her ability is okay, but it’s the art that gets me on this card. She looks so young and eager to start her military career.


Comments