Talking to Kids about Marriage

This was a real conversation I had with my kids this evening (March 30th, 2022).

Emily: "Daddy, I want to get married."
Me: "Ok, maybe some day."
Emily: "I want to marry YOU."
Me: "Awe, thank you. But I'm already married to your Mommy."
Nate: "Yeah, you can't get married if you're already married."
Me: "That's right."
Nate: "So you can marry me or Nicky."
Me: "Well, no-"
Emily: I want to marry you, Nathan, not Nicky."
Nicky: (from across the room) "Hey, why not me!"
Nate: "You could marry both of us."
Me: "No, no.."
Emily: "Yeah, both!"
Nate: "Or we could take turns."
Nicky: "I'm first."
Me: "Guys, you can't marry each other! You don't marry siblings."
(short silence)
Nicky: (frowns) Don't tell me what to do. (walks away)
Emily: (starts to walk upstairs, pouting and teary eyed) "I marry brothers, daddy."
(another short silence)
Lucille: "DADADADADADAA!"
Nate: "See, daddy, Lucille thinks it's ok."



Comments